“Fall” … in love with the autumn season, colored leaves, cooler days and all things cozy. Here in Texas, September is just the prelude of the overture to come, but change is in the air; hayfields are filled with freshly baled hay, the little winter coots have returned and last night a gorgeous “harvest moon” rose slowly over the lake. <!–more–>
Now, I think you are going to “Fall” … in love with these darling treats … Harvest Moon Pies. This idea is from a past addition of Southern Living Magazine and I was delighted to find that these desserts were easy to assemble and almost too cute to eat! I know we’re going to need more Moon Pies for Halloween … to decorate with all things spooky!
These decorated Moon Pies are a fun addition to any holiday and are a wonderful project for you and your children to enjoy doing together. Have fun decorating each Moon Pie differently and you’ll finally have a use (if you’re like me!) for all those adorable holiday sprinkles, that seem to amass in your cabinets! (:
I used a wire Maple leaf basket I had tucked away in my “4 the seasons” closet – my sweet hubby built for me! I put a block of florist foam in the bottom of the basket to anchor and display my Harvest Moon Pies and covered the foam with some shredded black and orange paper I had. Then, I wrapped each of my decorated Harvest Moon Pies in a cellophane favor bag. (I bought my cellophane bags from Hobby Lobby, they were located on the candy-making aisle along with the Wilton Candy Melts and “lollipop” sticks) and added autumn-colored ribbons around each handle.
I love the novelty of this charming and creative centerpiece, but I also love that they can be given as party favors, since I individually wrapped each of my Harvest Moon Pies!
HARVEST MOON PIES/ LEVEL: EASY/ YIELD: 1 DOZEN
INGREDIENTS AND ITEMS NEEDED:
INGREDIENTS & ITEMS NEEDED:
- 12 lollipop sticks
- 2 packages Chocolate Flavor Moon Pies (6 to each small package)
- 1 package vanilla candy melts – orange colored (I used Wilton’s Candy Melts)
- 1 zip-type plastic bag or cake decorator bag
- wax paper
- assorted sugar cake decorations (I used Wilton’s leaf shaped decorations)
- assorted seasonal sprinkles
- ribbon in autumn colors
- Decorator Icing
- Insert 1 lollipop stick, 2 to 3 inches into marshmallow center of Moon Pie
- Microwave candy melts in a glass bowl at Medium (50 percent power) 1 minute or until melted, stirring once. (read detailed instructions on the back of candy bag) Spoon into your plastic bag or cake decorator bag, push air out and seal.
- Snip a small hole in 1 corner of the bag; pipe melted candy around where the lollipop stick meets the Moon Pie to hold it securely in place. Lay flat on wax paper and let stand until firm. *SEE NOTE BELOW
- Pipe a fun border of melted candy around the edges of the Moon Pie or pipe squiggles across the top; then add sprinkles, cake sugar or attach candy decorations (ie: candy corn, pumpkins, etc.) using melted candies or frosting
*Be sure and help your little ones insert the candy stick into their Harvest Moon Pie and pipe melted candy around lollipop stick for them.
I hope you “Fall” … in love with these Harvest Moon Pies and enjoy making and eating them, as much as we did! (:
There are so many thing to love about Fall!
“Fall … in love with all things pumpkin!
“Fall … in love with harvest moons and breezy nights
“Fall” … in love with hay bales gleaming.
“Fall” … in love with yellow leaves, lying on the grass.
“Fall” … in love with children playing … laughing, giggling.
“Fall” … in love with FALL!
From my cottage to yours ~ Trenda