“Stressed backwards spells DESSERTS. Coincidence, I think not!” (: ~ Author Unknown
Perfect for lazy summer afternoons or evenings spent on the deck, these summer desserts are refreshing and so easy to “put together” you’ll want to make them whether you’re “stressed” or not! (;
Supplies needed to make gourmet ice cream cones.
- Waffle ice cream cones
- Ghiradelli Chocolate Melting Wafers (Almond bark or other melting chocolate can be used)
- microwavable bowl and spoon to spread additional chocolate
- assorted sprinkles, colored sugars, nonpareils, crushed candy bars, nuts, American flag picks, Wilton Fun Pix or other decorations
- Melt chocolate in microwave according to directions on the package; stir until smooth.
- Dip the top of the cone into the melted chocolate and turn to coat entire top of cone. (I used the back of a spoon to help spread the melted chocolate around the cone.)
- When the top of cone is completely covered and the candy coating is still warm, sprinkle colored sugars, nonpareils and decorations over the candy.
- Place the cone in an upright position until candy hardens. I have a metal tray for grilling Stuffed Jalepeno Poppers (a gift from our son and daughter-in-law <3) that was a perfect rack to set my ice cream cones in! (: After all my cones were made and decorated, I slid the whole tray into the freezer for 10 – 15 minutes, until the candy hardened.
I had so much fun making and decorating these! I made some of my cones “2-toned” using different colors and decorations on the outside of the cone vs. the inside of the cone.
I filled our cones with scoops of Blue Bell’s Cookies and Cream … our family’s favorite! Top your gourmet cones with whatever delicious ice cream you prefer, or carry out the patriotic theme enjoying Blue Bell’s Patriotic Ice Cream (click here to see!) “Red, White & Blue Bell!”
This next “Easy Summer Dessert” Cream Cheese Tartletts … are so cute and in “miniature” no one seems to ever feel guilty when they indulge in 1 or 2! (; I either top these tartletts with Cherry or Blueberry Pie filling and when serving a crowd, I have both selections available!
- 1 package of 6 Keebler mini Graham Cracker crusts
- 1 – 8 ounce package of Cream Cheese (softened at room temperature)
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice or “Real Lemon Juice” (*I’ve adapted this recipe to our tastes and add 1/2 cup of “Real Lemon Juice”)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 – 21 ounce can Cherry Pie or Blueberry Pie Filling (chilled)
- Cream softened cream cheese in a electric mixer until light and fluffy. (If you do not soften your cream cheese, your filling will be lumpy!)
- Slowly pour condensed milk into cream cheese in mixer and stir until well combined.
- Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup lemon juice (*see note above) and vanilla to cream cheese mixture and stir until ingredients are incorporated with the cream cheese and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into individual tartlett pans and refrigerate, until set. (1 – 2 hours, up to overnight) I place a small sheet of wax paper over each of my individual tartletts, when refrigerating overnight, to prevent the top layer from getting “tough.”
- Top tartletts with chilled pie filling just before serving and insert “fun pick.”
These Cream Cheese Tartletts, with their patriotic colors and festooned with an American flag always “find their way” to our 4th of July table! However, both of these fun summer desserts can be adapted for any festive occasion by switching decorations and picks. Next time, I think I’ll dip my cones in white chocolate melting wafers that are tinted green, fill my ice cream cones with scoops of raspberry sherbet, and “push in” chocolate morsels (pointy end first!) to simulate watermelon seeds. Or … I’ll dip my cones in milk chocolate melting wafers, sprinkle them with crushed Butterfinger candy bars, and fill my ice cream cones with scoops of Dutch Chocolate Ice Cream. Or … ??? (:
From my cottage to yours ~ Trenda
I’m delighted you spent some time reading my blog today. To have all my posts delivered directly to your email address, just click on FOLLOW in the post above … or click on my site cottagegreenonthelake.com and follow the prompts.